The Locus Awards have been handed out since 1971 (for the 1970 creative year) and are a fan centered honor, in that they are selected by readers of Locus: the Magazine of The Science Fiction and Fantasy Field, which has been in publication since 1968 (including now Locus Online). Locus is considered the premiere publication covering the science fiction and fantasy publishing realm, available to the public, and winning one of the awards is, indeed, a great honor. In an interesting note, the publishers of the winning works are also given certificates to honor their contribution to the endeavor. Cake and ice cream for everyone!
The finalists and winners for this year are:
SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL
- WINNER: Abaddon’s Gate, James S.A. Corey
- MaddAddam, Margaret Atwood
- The Best of All Possible Worlds, Karen Lord
- Shaman, Kim Stanley Robinson
- Neptune’s Brood, Charles Stross
- WINNER: The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman
- NOS4A2, Joe Hill
- River of Stars, Guy Gavriel Kay
- Doctor Sleep, Stephen King
- The Republic of Thieves, Scott Lynch
YOUNG ADULT BOOK
- WINNER: The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two, Catherynne M. Valente
- Zombie Baseball Beatdown, Paolo Bacigalupi
- The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, Holly Black
- Homeland, Cory Doctorow
- The Summer Prince, Alaya Dawn Johnson
- WINNER: Ancillary Justice, Ann Leckie
- The Thinking Woman’s Guide to Real Magic, Emily Croy Barker
- The Golden City, J. Kathleen Cheney
- A Stranger in Olondria, Sofia Samatar
- The Golem and the Jinni, Helene Wecker
- WINNER: Six-Gun Snow White, Catherynne M. Valente
- “Wakulla Springs”, Andy Duncan & Ellen Klages
- Black Helicopters, Caitlín R. Kiernan
- “The Princess and the Queen”, George R.R. Martin
- “Precious Mental”, Robert Reed
- WINNER: “The Sleeper and the Spindle”, Neil Gaiman
- “The Truth of Fact, the Truth of Feeling”, Ted Chiang
- “The Waiting Stars”, Aliette de Bodard
- “A Terror”, Jeffrey Ford
- “The Prayer of Ninety Cats”, Caitlín R. Kiernan
- WINNER: “The Road of Needles”, Caitlín R. Kiernan
- “Some Desperado”, Joe Abercrombie
- “The Science of Herself”, Karen Joy Fowler
- “A Brief History of the Trans-Pacific Tunnel”, Ken Liu
- “The Dead Sea-Bottom Scrolls”, Howard Waldrop
- WINNER: Old Mars, George R.R. Martin & Gardner Dozois, eds.
- Queen Victoria’s Book of Spells, Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, eds.
- The Year’s Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection, Gardner Dozois, ed.
- Unnatural Creatures, Neil Gaiman & Maria Dahvana Headley, eds.
- The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year Volume Seven, Jonathan Strahan, ed.
- WINNER: The Best of Connie Willis, Connie Willis
- The Best of Joe Haldeman, Joe Haldeman
- The Ape’s Wife and Other Stories, Caitlín R. Kiernan
- Kabu Kabu, Nnedi Okorafor
- The Bread We Eat in Dreams, Catherynne M. Valente
- WINNER: Asimov’s
- WINNER: Tor
- Angry Robot
- Small Beer
- WINNER: Ellen Datlow
- John Joseph Adams
- Gardner Dozois
- Jonathan Strahan
- Ann & Jeff VanderMeer
- WINNER: Michael Whelan (his artwork for the cover of Brian Sanderson’s Way of Kings is the thumbnail to this article)
- Bob Eggleton
- John Picacio
- Shaun Tan
- Charles Vess
- WINNER: Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction, Jeff VanderMeer
- Here Be Dragons: Exploring Fantasy Maps and Settings, Stefan Ekman
- Strange Matings: Science Fiction, Feminism, African American Voices, and Octavia E. Butler, Rebecca J. Holden & Nisi Shawl, eds.
- The Man From Mars: Ray Palmer’s Amazing Pulp Journey, Fred Nadis
- Afrofuturism: The World of Black Sci-Fi and Fantasy Culture, Ytasha L. Womack
- WINNER: Spectrum 20: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art, Cathy Fenner & Arnie Fenner, eds.
- Hannes Bok, Hannes Bok: A Life in Illustration, Joseph Wrzos, ed.
- Margaret Brundage, The Alluring Art of Margaret Brundage, Stephen D. Korshak & J. David Spurlock, eds.
- Maurice Sendak, Maurice Sendak: A Celebration of the Artist and His Work, Justin G. Schiller, Dennis M.V. David & Leonard S. Marcus, eds.
- Shaun Tan, Rules of Summer
Congratulations to all the winners and nominees!