There is no doubt that my list would change on any given day depending on my mood, but for today, I’ve listed the following:
- To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
- The Lord of the Rings – J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger
- The Power and the Glory – Graham Greene
- The Murders in the Rue Morgue – Edgar Allen Poe
These books came to mind because they represent different genres and reflect different states of the human condition. The one thing they all have in common is their ability to grab hold of the reader and take them to a different environment through nothing more than the author’s imagination and writing style.