The eagerly anticipated longlist for the 2014 Booker Prize was announced on July 23, 2014. The Man Booker Prize for Fiction historically has been a literary prize awarded each year for the best original English language novel written by a citizen of the United Kingdom or the British Commonwealth (also the Republic of Ireland and Zimbabwe), but this year, for the first time, the list includes works by authors of any nationality as long as the novel was first written in English. The six book shortlist will be announced on September 9, 2014, with the winner announced on October 14, 2014.
Titles on the longlist include:
- To Rise Again at a Decent Hour – Joshua Ferris (American)
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North – Richard Flanagan (Australian)
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves – Karen Joy Fowler (American)
- The Blazing World – Siri Hustvedt (American)
- J – Howard Jacobson (British)
- The Wake – Paul Kingsnorth (British)
- The Bone Clocks – David Mitchell (British)
- The Lives of Others – Neel Mukherjee (British)
- Us – David Nicholls (British)
- The Dog – Joseph O’Neill (Irish/American)
- Orfeo – Richard Powers (American)
- How to be Both – Ali Smith (British)
- History of the Rain – Niall Williams (Irish)
Congratulations to all!